Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 60

Thread: Remove the Mantaray Horn, NOW !!!

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    Even EAW is exporting it's cabinet shop to China.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They exported the cabinet shop? That seems strange to me. Cabinets are big and bulky to ship.

  2. #32
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by vintageboris:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Is there any reason to keep TonyNZ's threads around?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As a warning! forums </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have a hard time believing that any new troll will do a search to find out how past trolls were handled.

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Remove the Mantaray Horn, NOW !!!


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    A great deal of lumber comes from China anyway...

    I am not 100% on the status- I am operating from a Loud Technologies release last year that stated that was the direction they were going...

    Shipping by boat is actually reasonable.

    Oddly enough rail is making a comeback- unfortunately many railways sold off the right of ways...

    Rail is actually much more fuel efficient...and it doesn't look like we're headed for cheaper fuel...

  4. #34
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Remove the Mantaray Horn, NOW !!!


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    (Expansion)

    I would never mislead on purpose, so I actually checked with a friend at EAW..

    Hi quick reply..there still is a cabinet shop in the US- way downsized.

    About 55 percent of EAW is made in China.

    We didn't discuss it, but I would assume almost all of the low end is, gradually swinging the other direction as you go up in scale.

    The big touring stuff is not the dominant business it was ten years ago, main market now is installs.

  5. #35
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    [QB]A great deal of lumber comes from China anyway...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I believe they are making a lot of plywood there now. I haven't heard anything about solid wood, However.

    Shipping by boat is actually reasonable.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Still, unless they shipped knocked down, I can't see how it would be very efficeint to ship. I guess if the purchase price is cheap enough, maybe it would work out financially.

    Oddly enough rail is making a comeback- unfortunately many railways sold off the right of ways...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Did they actually sell the rights, or just sell the steel and let someone make a bike trial? I was just talking about this with someone the other day, that previously worked for the railroad.... he was under the impression that the RR companies still held most of the rights, even if they weren't being used currently. Honestly, he may be guessing since he's been out of the rail business for quite some time.

    Rail is actually much more fuel efficient...and it doesn't look like we're headed for cheaper fuel...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I've heard that before. I'd be very pleased if we went back to more rail use in this country.

  6. #36
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Makes me wonder how long it will take the average Chinese worker to figure out that he or she wants the same things out of life that we want; house, car, cottage etc...

    This must eventually drive labour prices up and up in China until it becomes as cheap to build it here (Canada) or in the U.S. I believe this major shift to the Chinese manufacturing plants is a short-sited attitude on big business' part.

    Remember post WWII Japan? There stuff was all junk. Now it's amoung the best. Stuff made in China is junk as far as I'm concerned; laced with lead paints that our government is too stupid to refuse at the border. Let me pay an extra $15.00 or $20.00 for a product and have a North American build it. We'll be employed again and hence be able to afford it. Just my 2 cents worth. We digress and vent....Lee

  7. #37
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    One other thing, in getting back to the topic at hand. Wasn't the Mantary horn one of Altec's technical triumphs? I thought is was viewed as a very smooth transitional horn. Less bite than the 811B or 511B....Lee

  8. #38
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by GM:
    How was this arrived at?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The web's a wicked place to leave a trail of crumbs, and the blatant are the first to fall...

    Actually, I quit before finding an official DOB, just multiple spots he listed that age himself. For obvious reasons, anyone curious will have to find other details themselves. FWIW, it isn't worth the time. forums

    My initial clue was his case usage (or abusage) in the quoted text. Would an otherwise-literate, well-heeled, retired scholar capitalize;

    Audiophile
    Professional Musician
    University Degree
    Major Symphony Orchestras

    in the same sentence(s) and given context? I thought not, even though I'm not a scholar. (but I did well in HS, and I've stayed at a Holiday Inn...).

    Even with access to a commercial database though, I've yet to track down the fella I told you skipped on me. His day will come, but I could sure use that $25k he ran off with about now...for some reason, that bothers me even more than a $9B (correction, $9T) natl. debt.

    But enough of that. Time for feesh to think happy thoughts! forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 07, 2008 10:23 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  9. #39
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Bfish, remind me not to p*ss you off. Clever tracking though.

  10. #40
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I hope I didn't come off as being p^^^^d, cuz I wasn't. This ol' hide's been ridden too often for talk to matter forums

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.